Thursday, June 16, 2011

Every journey starts with a step...

There is one day to go before I start my journey into Anusara Yoga Teacher Training at Pure Yoga with Patrick Creelman alongside my yoga teacher Lawrence P.
Over the past year or so, the physical practice of yoga has taken over my life and it made sense to take the T.T. to further and deepen my understanding of what it means. Yoga literally is to balance. But to balance life living in a city such as Hong Kong seems impossible doesn't it? Maybe, but for me, finding a balance between work, family, friends, food and yoga has become more balanced since practicing yoga. There is a calmness you find inside and it can get you through even the shittiest of days, stuck in the yellow rain, chasing taxis up and down the street. I hope that through this blog I will be able to share some knowledge of what I'm learning and to pay love forward.

The training will take place over the next three weeks and every 6th day we have a day off to recharge. The first thing I've done is change my diet. To open and become in harmony with yourself you have to cleanse. To learn compassion you can start by eating, dare I say the V word... Vegan! At first I was more concerned with the health issues that would come about but after talking with one of my teachers Joakim and my very good friend Anna, Vegans can obtain all the nutrition they need through mother nature's greens. The more raw food you eat, the less you eat because they're dense and packed with goodness. As for vitamins, the only supplement I will be taking during my training will be Spirulina. I already take one Vitamin C tablet daily. The two videos that really made an impact are wwww.meat.org which shows the ins and outs of meat farmers and how cruel they treat the meat we eat. The second video is on YouTube,
The Best Speech You Will Ever Hear. Gary Yourofsky is an advocate for veganism and preaches it like it is. He wants to turn you, but if he fails at that, I promise, you will at least become more knowledgeable in what you are eating at your sunday roast. Be warned, this video is an hour long but so informative! I've become more sensitive to the footprint I am leaving by what I eat. I can't say I will cut meat out completely for the rest of my life, but if and when I eat it, I will make sure it is 100% ethically reared. In Hong Kong, the best sources for chicken and meat come from Brazil (where they have lots of room to run and grow properly) and Australia (where regulations are strict). Remember, you ARE what you eat. Be compassionate and give thanks when you sit down at a meal.


So, this is my first step into a journey inwards, I've my ten sets of yoga gear ready to go, water bottle, vegan dumplings made in the freezer, Veggie burgers, tofu balls (thank you Sharron) and soba noodles all ready for the first five days. I can't say I'll be updating everyday but I will every 6th day when I am off and keep you all in the know of how it is going mentally, physically, spiritually.


May today bring you Music, Dance, Love and Laughter

Dee

No comments:

Post a Comment