Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Half way there, with presents!

What a ride these last two weeks have been! I can't believe there's only two more weeks to go. These last few days have been focused on Patanjali's Suttras. Patanjali was the forefather of a book with four chapters (100 suttras) that illustrated the goals of yoga, the practices, the attainment of powers and the states of liberation. He practiced classical yoga which sees the universal truth and who we are as two separate levels of being. We only learned the key suttras in chapters 1 and 2 so far. Anusara yoga views the suttras through a tantric view where there is a totality that we are all connected.

My favourite one is in chapter 1.33 maitri karuna mudita upekshanam
This mantra deals with the relationships we keep and I feel that it is a beautiful way in which we should keep our relationships with all people. Maitri friendliness, as a student, we respect our teachers and the work they have done to earn the seat as teacher. Karuna, compassion, as a teacher we should be compassionate to our students for their works and dedication. Mudita, celebration, we should always celebrate our friends' and others' happiness with love. Even when you don't feel like it, the more you practice this the more you truly do and will celebrate with pure love. Upkeshanam, neutrality, equality, always look for the good in everyone but sometimes their energies won't match yours. Don't react but stay neutral and let them be. (Like those people with their umbrellas combined with tunnel vision)

My personal relationships have become filled with a renewed love, with a deeper understanding about why I practice yoga and I also believe in the philosophy. Ciaran took me out for a beautiful dinner last night. Sharon was so sweet to have ordered and surprised me with two new lululemon racer backs that they don't have in Hong Kong! I can't wait to sweat it out today! I also had my very dear friend Derek Szeto come to Hong Kong just to see me (and a little bit of HK). I felt so engulfed in love yesterday! I am so grateful for this opportunity to learn with the help of my teachers and my Kula sisters and brothers.

Yesterday we watched a movie on Ram Dass called Fierce Grace. I encourage you all to watch it! There are so many cool elements in the movie and also a lot of moving ones that make you realise, Life Is So So So So So So So Good!

I am going to enjoy my day in practice and with my friend in town and step away from sitting in front of the screen. So I leave you with this... If someone you loved died a tragic death today, could you still see the good?

No comments:

Post a Comment